We are a few weeks into spring and that means it’s a great time for thinking about spring cleaning and home maintenance.
Here’s a handy checklist to make sure your home is running efficiently:
- If you have solar panels, make sure they’re nice and clean and that there isn’t any debris collecting on them (if you need them cleaned, we can help!) Prune any overgrown trees or shrubbery that could be blocking the sun from fully reaching your panels.
- Check around window trim and doors for any water damage and replace soft or cracked wood. Make sure weather stripping is intact to keep the heat in and the cold out. Caulk any exposed edges. Clean the inside of your windows, wipe down window sills (a little vinegar and warm water works great!), and power wash windows from the outside with a hose or pressure washer. Repaint areas that are looking tired. If your windows are older, it may even be time to consider replacing them with something more energy efficient.
- Make sure gutters and downspouts aren’t clogged with fallen leaves and other debris and that water is draining away from your home’s foundation. While you’re examining the gutters, it’s also a good time to take a peek at your roof and make note of any missing tiles, exposed nails or flashing, or areas that appear to be sagging. Have a professional roofer inspect it further if you notice any signs that you may need to repair or replace.
- If it’s been a while since your air conditioning or heating has been checked, have a qualified HVAC service company make sure everything is running optimally. Clean and replace air filters regularly.
- Get organized! Set aside some time to de-clutter your home; donate gently used items to charity and recycle unwanted items. Sort, pack, and label winter items for storage.
- Dryer vents should be cleaned periodically to make sure you’re your dryer isn’t working overtime to dry clothes.